Saturday, June 14, 2008

Leaving New York - Part 2


The second leg of my journey back to Fort Lauderdale today was challenging, though fairly uneventful; nothing like this morning!

After saying my goodbyes to various people and sending out a general thank you e-mail to the entire New York staff, I gathered my belongings and schlepped downstairs to the train station. This time, no getting stuck in the turnstiles for me! Imagine that. Take THAT police lady!

The hike to 42nd and 8th, normally an obstacle course on a light day, seemed an insurmountable challenge with all the crap I was carrying; dodging the thousands of people that traverse the tunnels on a daily basis, the steep stairs and incredible speed with which everyone whizzes past.

But I finally made it through to the airport.

And again I repeat: how is putting our stuff into plastic bins supposed to keep us safe? How does taking off my shoes, my reading glasses, even my headphones (which I forget were draped around my neck) along with the iPod safe for everyone? Strange what travel has become. The things we do to give us that false sense of security and how quickly we buy into it. Still, I suppose I should be grateful. Perhaps in giving people the power of feeling like we are in control of “safety” we remain calm to some degree.


On the plane now and we’re scheduled to depart in about 15 to 20 minutes. I just wish I could find a way to drug ALL children and annoying LOUD adults who fly so that the plane is quiet and silent and the seat in front of me stops shaking. Thank god I’m in the very last row! Hopefully I’ll be able to get my good old DD coffee soon!

This time spent at the gate, waiting for everyone to board and stow their items while the crew gets the plane ready for flight is, for me, one of the worst things about traveling. Especially because it gives me way too much time to think, to reflect on the last 6 weeks I’ve experienced in New York. It’s been an adventure, filled with extreme highs and extreme lows. Very little, if any, in between stuff.


I think about my arrival here, the cool weather, almost to the point of being cold. I think about how long it lasted, soothing and refreshing and the extreme heat that has gripped the city this past few days; a reminder of what awaits me in Fort Lauderdale!


I think about Times Square, glittering and glowing like a jewel in the night, beckoning like a seedy whore in the light of day; one you cannot resist, even as it cleverly parts you from your money.

I think about all the people at our company’s New York office; a mini solar system all of it’s own. Sara Jane who will have her first CD out this November. Her website will be added to the list on the right. And I STRONGLY recommend you give her album a listen! Her voice goes from wonderfully coy, playful, wistful and romantic. Can’t wait for your CD Sara Jane! HELEN!!!!

I think also about the people who work for Broadway Across America, the company I work for, and how the executives, approachable and genuinely interested in their staff, pulled together for me and made it possible for me to help my mother during this trying time in her life by allowing me to work in the NYC office.

I think about my friend Gary who is helping to keep me inspired and continue with my writing and other projects. I think about his charismatic, French partner with an other worldly feel about him, a feel of an era gone by. I think of their beautiful apartment downtown Manhattan and the plays Gary took me to see, our conversations afterwards. I think of how he got me hooked to Wil’s blog and his candid writing.

I think about meeting Marsha Norman who wrote the book for Color Purple and Secret Garden, meeting Edward Albee as well as John Guare who wrote Six Degrees of Separation.


I think about the subway, gritty and sometimes smelly, yet a comfort as it rocks and rolls its way underground, making it’s way to the end of the line. It opens up on the B and Q, near my mom's house.

I think about all the handsome, sexy, boys and men next door walking about, taking the train, rubbing against you as the train barrels through from one station to the next, walking the streets as they get to work, go to lunch, enter peep shows.

I think about Union Square and the hordes of people enjoying one another, talking, laughing, kissing, holding hands, roller skating, skateboarding, selling their art. The beggars, the street musicians. All the people, so many people, each and every one their own little planets in their own little solar systems.

And the rush! No, the joy, of soaking up the atmosphere, their energy, grooving on all those people simply BEING or going about their business as if they didn’t have a care in the world.


I think about Niko, the walks we took during the time he visited me, along the West Side Highway where, in broad daylight, he gave me my first public kiss; the West Village and Pommes Frite in the East Village.


I think about my sisters; one out on Staten Island with her husband and autistic child, the other in Brooklyn with her husband, her 18 y.o. and 3-year-old.

And of course I think about my mom. My wonderful mother of 67 years who will be seeing the plastic surgeon this Friday to discuss the reconstructive surgery options after she undergoes the mastectomy she’s decided to have.

And I feel homesick. I am lonely for New York City.

Through tears I write this.

It’s not that I’m not glad to see Niko, our dogs, our friends. But Fort Lauderdale is just not home. It hasn’t been for many years now. In fact, I’m not sure it truly ever was.

I will hug and hold and kiss Niko fiercly when I get home. Hopefully neither one of us will be too tired to get a little sumthin, sumthin. But after that? Tomorrow when I have to go back to the Lauderdale office and get back on the phone? Back to a dull, boring routine? It will be a difficult adjustment to life back on the farm after having tasted and experienced the Wonderful Land of Oz and all the strange things it has to offer.

Yes, it seems that I’ve left my heart in New York. Well, maybe left it is not quite how I want to put it. You can leave your heart in San Francisco, willingly. But in New York, it is taken from you. I guess that’s how some cities are; they claim you. And, once claimed, you belong to them forever. I know this because no matter where I roam, no matter what I call home, this tiny piece of rock island will always be my first lover.

In their eyes is a place that you finally discovered
That you love it here, you've got to stay
On the bottom of the rock, an island
On which you find you love it when you twitch

Ooh La - THE KOOKS

No comments: